Skip Navigation

(614) 652-3920 | Admin & Fire Department

Zoning FAQ

To answer this question, you must first know whether the property in question is located in the unincorporated Washington Township. Generally, parcel numbers beginning with 270, 271 and 272 are located in Washington Township for zoning purposes. If it is located in the unincorporated area the following link will assist you in determining the zoning of your parcel:

A property can also be located in both Washington Township and the City of Dublin. These parcels generally begin with 273, 274 and 275. If the property is located within the city limits of Dublin, it will fall under the zoning rules and regulations of the City of Dublin. The phone number is (614) 410-4660.

A zoning certificate is required for a shed or other type of accessory structure. The most important consideration is making sure the proposed structure meets setback and location requirements. Some key elements of Section 512: Accessory Uses and Structures:

  • The accessory use or structure shall be 25% or less of the gross floor area of the principal use or structure.
  • Unattached accessory structures shall be located in the rear of the dwelling structure.
  • Shall be no more than 12 feet in height.

Depending on the size of the structure being constructed, a building permit may be required. Building permits and inspections are handled by the Franklin County Building Department, (614) 525-3166 or [email protected]. Additional information can be found here:

When replacing or adding a fence, residents are encouraged to contact the Washington Township Zoning Inspector at (614) 652-3920. Pursuant to Section 502.021, fences, walls and hedging shall be permitted in a yard provided the fence or wall located between the street and a front building line is no more than three (3) feet in height. Fencing is permitted along the side and rear yard edge, but shall not exceed six (6) feet in height. In certain instances, natural screening is also required. A zoning certificate, or a certificate of no need, shall be required for new and replacement fences.

Swimming pool requirements are outlined in the accessory structure section of the Township Zoning Resolution, Section 512.014. Some key elements of this section include:

  • The swimming pool is intended to be used solely for the enjoyment of the occupants of the dwelling.
  • The swimming pool may not be located closer than twenty-five (25) feet to any property line.
  • The swimming pool shall be walled or fenced to prevent uncontrolled access from the street or adjacent properties. Said fence or wall shall be not
  • Be less than forty-two (42) inches in height and shall be maintained in good condition with gate and lock.

New Swimming pool additions are subject to review by the Washington Township Zoning Inspector and require either a zoning certificate, or certificate of no need, prior to installation and/or construction.

Yes, signs are regulated in Section 541 of the Washington Township Zoning Resolution. Some key elements of this section include:

  • No illuminated sign or lighting device used in conjunction with a sign shall be placed or directed so as to permit the illumination therefrom to be directly beamed upon a public thoroughfare, highway, sidewalk or adjacent premises so as to cause direct glare or reflection that may constitute a hazard to public safety or create a nuisance.
  • No signs shall be mounted within any public right-of-way except by the government agencies having jurisdiction within that right-of-way.
  • No sign shall be painted or attached to, or maintained on a utility pole, rock, tree or other form of vegetation.
  • Temporary signs are permitted, such as real estate “for sale or lease” signs, and must not exceed eight (8) square feet in size. These signs are not subject to a certificate of zoning compliance.
  • Political signs for candidates and issues on the ballot may be erected no sooner than sixty (60) days before the date of an election and may remain in place no later than seven (7) days after the date of the election. In residential districts the maximum permitted area of political signs is eight (8) square feet, and no political sign shall be located within a public road right-of-way. No certificate of zoning compliance is required for political signs.

Please contact the Washington Township Zoning Inspector at (614) 652-3920 for any questions regarding sign regulations that require a certificate of zoning compliance.

Building permits and inspections are handled by the Franklin County Building Department, (614) 525-3166 or [email protected]. Additional information can be found here: