Spring Break is just around the corner and everyone loves a good vacation. But if you are planning to be away for days or weeks, it’s important to make sure your home is safe. Fire safety is often the last thing people think about… but it can also be the most important. Here are some easy tips to help avoid a house fire when gone:
- Unplug key appliances.
- Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are working.
- Make sure your home doesn’t look vacant. Consider temporally stopping your mail and deliveries and put a light on a timer inside the home.
- Purchase a fire safety box and place all your valuables in there.
- Turn off your main water supply.
- Make sure a neighbor or close friend has a key incase the fire department needs to get inside.
- And if you are a resident of the City of Dublin, sign up for the house watch program with Dublin Police.
Vacations are a time to relax not to worry about what you may come home too.