Refuse and Recycling


Washington Township contracts with Rumpke of Ohio Inc. for waste disposal services for unincorporated residents. Benefits to residents who receive this service include reduced rates, recycling and yard waste collection services. Rumpke bills township residents directly for the services provided. Rumpke disposes of of residents’ municipal solid waste at the Franklin County landfill, which is operated by the Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio. Recyclable items are processed at Rumpke’s materials recovery facility.

Guidelines for Waste Disposal in the Unincorporated Township

Service Days

Yard Waste: MONDAY

Trash and Recycling: WEDNESDAY

Holiday Schedule

Rumpke observes the following holidays:

New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.

Will service be delayed?

If the holiday is the day of or a weekday before your service day, service will be delayed by one day that week.

If the holiday is on a weekend or a weekday after your service day, service will remain as scheduled.

Visit Rumpke’s web site for weather updates.

Rates and Billing

Residents will receive a quarterly invoice from Rumpke, based on their chosen service level. For questions about billing, call (800) 828-8171.

General Service Guidelines

Residents have weekly trash, recycling and yard waste service.

Trash and Recycling Guidelines: Cart contents only

  • Place trash and recycling out the evening before your service day.
  • Make sure all trash and recycling fits inside your Rumpke cart with the lid closed. Anything outside the cart will not be collected.
  • Do not use personal containers or non-Rumpke carts. If you have more trash or recycling than your cart will hold (with the lid closed), please exchange your cart for a larger size or rent and additional cart by contacting Rumpke at (800) 828-8171.

Cart Placement

Place carts:

  1. with the wheels furthest from the street
  2. within 3 feet of the edge of the street
  3. at least 3 feet from all other objects

Yard Waste

Place yard waste out the evening before your service day. Yard waste is organic material such as grass, leaves, twigs, branches, and shrubs generated during household gardening and landscaping.

  • Unacceptable yard waste: Keep plastic bags, plant pots and trays, food waste, rocks and soil out of your yard waste.
  • Weight limit: Make sure each of your yard waste bags or bundles does not weigh more than 50 pounds.
  • Branches: Cut branches to 4 feet or shorter and tie with biodegradable string (cotton, jute, baler twine) into bundles no wider than 2 feet.
  • Loose material: Place loose material in biodegradable bags or rigid containers marked “yard waste.” Do not use plastic bags to contain your yard waste or to line your yard waste bags.
  • Holiday trees: Remove all decorations and cut the trunk and limbs to 4 feet or shorter. Tie into bundles with biodegradable string or twine.

Bulky Items and Applicances

Call Rumpke at least 24 hours before your regular collection day  to schedule the pick up of bulky items from your curb. Place your items at the curb on your trash service day. A bulky items is one that is too large to fit in the trash cart, such as an appliance, furniture, or large toy. Extra trash that cannot fit your trash cart is not considered a bulky item. Call Rumpke for information about items containing chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

Uncollectible Waste and Appliance Removal

Rumpke cannot collect commercial waste, tree trunks or stumps, construction materials, concrete slabs, household hazardous waste, tires, lead acid batteries, and items containing chlorofluorocarbons (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, or ice makers). If you would like to dispose of an item containing CFCs, call Rumpke at (800) 828-8171 to schedule CFC removal and collection of the item. The cost for CFC removal is $65 per item.

Household Hazardous Waste

Household hazardous waste may be disposed of at one of the collections sponsored by the Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio (SWACO). For a complete list of the dates and locations or for information on how to properly dispose of household hazardous waste and other solid waste, call SWACO at (614) 871-5100, or visit their web site,

Service For Physically Impaired

Rumpke provides garage-side assistance service at no additional charge for residents with physical impairments. Medical verification is required. Call (800) 828-8171 for information.

Extended Absence

Residents who do not require service for a period of 90 days or more, may call Rumpke at (800) 828-8171 to place their service on hold until their return.

How to Get the Most out of Recycling

Recycling helps conserve landfill space, energy and natural resources. Recyclable items also can be used to create new products.

  • Place all recyclables in your recycling cart without any bags. There is no need to sort your items.
  • Contact Rumpke at (800) 828-8171 if you need an additional or larger recycling cart.

Unacceptable Recycling Materials

Please do not put any of the following in your recycling cart: plastic bags, hoses and chains, cassette tapes, hangers and wire, batteries, car parts, chemicals,, clothing, cups, dish ware, electronics, hazardous items, light bulbs, needles, pots and pans, rope, toys, window glass.

Acceptable Recycling Materials

Recyclable Material Material Accepted
Paper and Cardboard Newspapers, newspaper inserts, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, telephone books, office paper, paperboard, cardboard, clean pizza boxes. No laminated paper, paper with special coatings (photo paper) or contaminated paper (toilet paper, paper towels, tissues).
Plastic Plastic containers with a mouth that is smaller than the container base such as beverage, shampoo, soap, milk, laundry and detergent containers bottles. As of January 2021, butter tubs, yogurt containers are also collected. Please empty, crush (if possible) and reattach the cap on plastic bottles.
Glass Clear or colored glass bottles and jars. Please rinse containers and remove lids. Paper labels do not need to be removed. No window glass, mirrors, light bulbs, drinking glasses or cooking glassware.
Aluminum & Steel Aluminum and bi-metal beverage cans, steel soup and food cans, and empty aerosol cans. Please empty and rinse cans. No pots, pans, coat hangers or scrap steel.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email