Open Burn Prohibited In March, April, May
Individuals that choose to conduct open burning in Ohio should be aware of rules and regulations that may affect them. Following are several regulatory items to consider:
- Ohio Revised Code 1503.18 prohibits most open burning in unincorporated areas in March, April, May, October, and November between 6am and 6pm. Open burning during these times may be permissible if conditions outlined in the exclusionary text are met. This code is under authority of the Ohio Division of Forestry.
- The Ohio EPA has authority regarding open burning under Ohio Administrative Code. Check OhioEPA website for details.
- Local governments or fire departments may have local burn rules established. It is good practice to check with these local entities prior to conducting open burns.
- Individuals may be held liable for damages caused as a result of a fire that they kindle.
- Consider disposing of yard waste through alternative methods, such as composting.