If you will be frying your turkey this Thanksgiving, here are a few preparations you can make and safety tips to follow that will help you deliver a juicy, golden-brown turkey to your table.
- Use a fryer that has a built-in thermostat so the oil temperature will be safely regulated.
- Determine how much volume your turkey will displace when placed in the oil. Test this using water.
- Pat the turkey dry before you place it in the hot oil.
- Wear gloves, safety glasses, and cover your clothes when tending to the frying turkey.
- If operating your fryer outdoors, use a level surface, away from decks, trees, and structures.
- Never leave a fryer unattended.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Keep children and pets away from the fryer at all times.
- Keep a fire extinguisher near by.