Fire department requests levy renewal
Washington Township Trustees voted November 12, 2019 to place a five-year, 8.25 levy on the March ballot. The proposed levy would renew an existing five-year levy that voters passed in 2015 to support Washington Township’s Fire Department.
If approved by voters, the cost of the levy for a property owner would be approximately $226.06 per $100,000 valuation, resulting in no tax increase.
The levy, if passed, is expected to generate $17.33 million annually, 84% of the department’s anticipated budget. The remaining 16% of the budget is covered by small permanent levies, current savings, fees for services, grants and revenue sharing from the State of Ohio.
Funds generated by the levy will be used for day-to-day operations, fire station maintenance and updates, administrative functions, and capital equipment.
By pursuing a renewal rather than a replacement levy, the township will be able to preserve the rollback tax equivalency payments it is eligible for from the State of Ohio. A replacement levy would have required the Township to relinquish this funding, thereby increasing the tax burden on Township residents. For more information, consult this fact sheet , call the fire department at 614-652-3920, M-F, or contact us online.